Monday, January 18, 2010

Turkish coffee, a cure for the “mean reds”

So, today I went into work with a case of the “mean reds”. For those of you who may have never seen the movie Breakfast at Tiffany’s , let me explain. The mean reds happen in those times in your life when you just don’t know what to do with yourself. You want to be alone. You want to be with people. You want to figure out everything that will make you successful in your life as well as give it all up and become a bum. You want to simultaneously laugh and cry. Your mind wants to think about everything and the nothing at the same time.

Unfortunately, during extreme cases of the mean reds (like today), it is absolutely impossible to function in a “normal” fashion during every day interactions with people. My biggest fear is that someone may ask me the wrong question (anything involving the word “future”) and unintentionally induce a panic attack that would end in me curling up in a ball and holding on to their ankles. In order to save myself, and those around me from my current social ineptness, I decided that I would work offsite. The solution didn’t end there.

In a community of a little over 10,000 people, it is impossible to go somewhere for a cup a coffee without having to make small talk with at least 10 people. And unfortunately, my usual desire to befriend everyone has narrowed my options. As I began to play out impending conversations in my head I began to feel my legs starting prepare themselves for “ball” formation.

I am now in a secret nook in the bar section in the Greek restaurant downtown. Fortunately for me, it is socially inappropriate to drink before five. I am chugging down Turkish coffee faster than they can serve it (and man! I am typing fast). I think this is my new hot spot. Maybe I could get a job here after I graduate.

2 comments:

J. Little said...

I am so glad turkish coffee helped you, dear rikki. Turn those mean reds into happy blues!

Unknown said...

just get out of arkansas!