Monday, February 8, 2010

Butterflies: A question of extermination

There have been a few times in my life where I have received what some might call the "butterflies". Most people commonly associate this reference with romantic endeavors; however, upon closer examination, it has become apparent to me that butterflies have crawled their way into my tummy in a wide variety of situations throughout my life. The decision that I am now trying to make is how often do these seemingly innocent butterfly flutters motivate me to jump into situations that have irrevocably dissatisfying long-term results. For example, I think back on every time that I made the poor decision to jump out of an entirely too high swinging swing and landed face first with the wind knocked out of me. You would think that after once or twice, the decision to not jump would be clear and concise. It was almost as if I the inertia induced butterflies continuously caused temporary judgement lapse and memory loss. Now the question remains: am I thankful for the experience of having the euphoria that exists between when my rear end leaves the chair of the swing and when my head thumps the ground? Is it worth trying again?

No comments: